Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Simple Happy

I don't usually believe in New Years resolutions and therefore I don't typically set a resolution. The way I look at it is that resolutions should be made all year long and I should never stop working on improving myself. Although I don't have a resolution per say, I am looking forward to this year because it symbolizes a fresh start and gives me a chance to check in with myself to see how I am doing with all the goals I set all year long. Lucky for me, in a couple of months it will be the Persian New Year and I will have another opportunity to do this.

This year my biggest goal has consistently been to do things that keep me happy. I guess I have come to a point in my life that I am seeing first hand that as much as you work hard or plan ahead, there is no guarantee in life. Right now I am honestly just happy that I am well and knock on wood so is everyone I care most about. Life is really hard and sometimes it really makes no sense and I am over trying to make sense of it. Sometimes it is so easy to get stuck focusing on all our problems that we lose sight of everything else. I am very guilty of this- I have my share of moments where I beat myself up because I am 27 and not where I want to be in life. I catch myself comparing myself to others or feeling anxious because all my ducks aren't in a row (so to speak). But I realy don't want something bad to happen for me to realize how good I actually have it. I don't want to look back and regret I didn't do more when I could. I don't want to rush this stage of my life trying to get to where I think I should be just to look back and realize I was exactly where I should've been all along. I get really anxious about the stupidest things sometimes but then I hear my mom or sister or a friend talk and I realize it's not just me- it's practically everyone (including elementary schoolers and middle schoolers). We all get so consumed by our problems and half of the time we don't even realize just how consumed we are. So I guess it is not an easy goal, but it's a goal nonetheless...plain and simple, I just want to have fun this year! When I am busy laughing, doing something I really enjoy, or around loved ones, I am less consumed by my problems and I actually catch myself being happy. That is basically my biggest desire is for 2012....to catch myself more often being happy and to savor each and every moment of it whenever it happens!

2 comments:

  1. When I feel like I am overconsumed by what are really insignificant problems, I head over to the twitter-verse to snap out of it. This twitter keeps me in check and gives me a good laugh- https://twitter.com/#!/FirstWorldPains

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I love First World Pains!

    ReplyDelete