Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Make Your Own Peace: a how to guide


sylviethecamera.smugmug.com

Be still.  Be present in the moment.  Be at peace with yourself. 

Nowadays these types of mantras are a dime a dozen—every yoga studio is spouting some version of them, and they’re plastered across cheerfully colored shirts at Lululemon, and every magazine has to feature something along these lines before an issue can be approved for printing.  I’ll admit, I’m a former mantra junkie.  The flow of my week was determined by how many times I could knot my way into lotus position and will myself to be more grounded, to lift my heart center to the sun, to find an inner calm that, for reasons unbeknownst to my consciousness, resembled the chilly padded mats in the wrestling room from my first brush with yoga a cold oasis of glittering snow and snow-breath.  And, more inexplicably, the Northern lights were always dancing in some far-off background.

But when I decided to save money and not renew my membership at some point that stopped being enough.  And then I really was stranded.  How could I find my happy mental image of a Norwejian fjord without calm, soothing voices intoning that I am responsible for my own happiness?  It’s just not the same when I try to tell myself that—it’s not at all convincing when my inner voice is drawing up to-do lists for the next day.  In my heart of hearts, I knew that I needed some guidance.  But then I stumbled upon Martha Beck’s article about happiness.  While she tackles the question of finding a lasting happiness, I hit my “a-ha!” moment when she broaches the broadness of that oft-repeated advice:  be still.  Instead, she suggests that we be creative, whether that means learning how to race cars (Emma) or figuring out how to frost a cake Martha Stewart would be proud of (Lilo) or taking a class on how to sew (well, it’s on one of my fun to-do lists because I don’t know what to do about these coat buttons of mine that have all snapped off).  Any type of creative work toggles our brains to release that beloved happiness-inducing hormone, dopamine (yay, scientific proof!), until our brains click into mindfulness and we are actually biologically forced to be present in the moment.  How’s that for being at peace with yourself?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something I saw today that reminded me of this:

    "Spend some time with yourself. Have a date with YOU. Treat yourself with your favourite music; your journal; your blog; walk in nature; drive in the country; favorite food and beverage" she said. "Hang out with your spirit"

    "But how?" wondered the Young Light
    "Simply remove everything else. Remove yourself and savour the YOU. Regularly."- The wheel of life

    ReplyDelete