Tuesday, December 14, 2010

One of Those Days

Today was just one of those days: Why do I have to drag myself out of bed to run through the stinging snow? Why does the microwave take ten minutes to fully heat up my breakfast? Why are there so many emails to slog through? Why am I finally out of vacation days while my boss is valiantly (but failing) to suppress her glee that Thursday will be her last day of work in 2010? Why, why, why?

It took a very wise friend to offer me some very sage advice when this pity party of mine descended to the point where I was asking why each day doesn't start with a fluffy plateful of pancakes. She had just begun a new job dedicated to helping young families and she'd become a firsthand witness to what it means to start a family. When I began moping to her about how a faltering and wobbly internet connection forced me to abandon my original plan to watch the Christmas special of "Glee," she reminded me that now is when I should be seizing the day, before I have to be responsible for other people--that before I have to help other people see who they are, I should take more time to figure out who I am. Which is, of course, a never-ending project.

And speaking of never-ending projects, maybe it is time to finally pull out that sketchbook and learn to draw, or to sign up for that letterpress class I've always wanted to take, or figure out how to really use my camera instead of jabbing at buttons randomly.

Remember when we were in kindergarten and encouraged to dream? We wanted to be astronauts, fire trucks, and magic-wielders at the age of five. I might have accepted that I won't be the first person to play hopscotch on Io, but that doesn't mean I can't tap into those other daydreams. I know I still have that flyer about pottery classes somewhere. And didn't my friend mention that she wanted to do a hat-making class? Oh, the things to see and the places to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment