Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Day 4 & 5



There is nothing as eye-opening as leaving town for a couple days. It gives you a whole new perspective. I wasn't able to post for the past couple days because of a very crazy and hectic schedule. Although I did not have the time (or access to a computer) to post, here are a couple observations I've made throughout the last couple days:

1) There is no substitution for my own house and belongings. Even the nicest hotel room does not compare to my own room. I love that my house is clean and that I know where everything is. I love my warm cozy bed, clean sheets, pillow. I love the fact that I can walk downstairs, open the fridge and grab whatever snack I feel like eating. I can go into my closet and pick whatever outfit I want to wear. I can take a shower with my own toiletries and use my own clean towel. I guess above all, I love the fact that my house is familiar to me and I am comfortable. It's surrounded by so many things that I love :)

2) Family is and will always be the most important thing. I went to Canada to see our family and I realized how much I appreciate my family. Not just my mom, dad, and sister, but also extended family. I don't always get the chance to see them so when I do I appreciate it so much more and it makes me happy. It's cool to see the different generations of family and I always find it so fascinating how some family members that don't even live near each other are so alike. I find it crazy that not only looks but habits can also be passed down from generation to generation.

3) Good music never gets old. I am not sure if I would be able to survive a 18 hour drive (total) to and from Canada without music. Luckily, right before we made the trip, I added Billy Joel's Greatest hits volume 1 and 2 to my ipod. I listen to Billy Joel all the time, but during this drive I heard some of his songs as if for the first time. Sometimes I am so busy running to and from places that I don't fully hear or appreciate the music I am listening to. The great thing about driving that long is that you are stuck in a car with nothing to do but listen. As I listened (more mindfully than usual) I heard just how talented Billy Joel is. It really blew my mind how many of his songs have made it big. It also made me realize how much I love listening to his music.

I have always loved the song "Vienna" because it makes me appreciate the value of time. I am a very motivated and curious person who wants to do and see everything there is to do and see. I am always setting goals for myself and get frustrated when I don't accomplish something I set my mind to. What I love about this song is that it reminds me that it's okay to slow down sometimes. Maybe it's an age thing...maybe being a 20-something-year old automatically gives you pressure to move at a faster pace. This age brings with it a lot of social and personal expectations. This is the age frame where one transitions from childhood into adulthood and begins redefining themselves (through their careers, relationships, living style, etc). It is natural then as we start the next chapter of life to strive high and want to be our personal best, but is it always necessary to be at such a rush?


Billy Joel was asked about the significance of the song Vienna:

He told us that he was very impressed at the respect given to elders in Europe. One day he saw an old woman sweeping a public street with great pride, and it made an impression. He wanted people to realize that there is time in life to accomplish our goals and everything doesn't have to be at a break-neck speed. Instead of fearing old age as we do here, it should be anticipated and valued. So, instead of rushing to accomplish everything in youth you should remember, "Vienna waits for you."




Listen-Vienna Waits For You

No comments:

Post a Comment