Tuesday, May 15, 2012

We Are What We Read?


We've all heard that we are what we eat, but have you seen this new article in The Atlantic that we're also what we read?  Geoff Kaufman and Lisa Libby's research has shown that reading and identifying with a fictional character can lead to us subconsciously adopt their behavior as well.  Which has me worried, since I spend most of my time indulging in kids books--preferably ones that feature strong, female protagonists.  Of course I'm drawn to these types of characters because I am admittedly more of a clumsy Bella than a fierce Katniss, but I'm hoping that this means that re-reading THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy will grant me some of Ms. Everdeen's toughness.  The only problem is that I've been poring over those books since 2008 and I haven't seen any changes yet...

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the saying some "food for thought" or "mind food"

    I def. agree with what the article is saying. For the record, you are more fierce than you give yourself credit for ;)

    One thing I have noticed from reading kids books is that they 1) focus a lot on character development and morals 2) they make the complicated seem simple and 3) more often than not, they leave you feeling happy. That's not so bad if you ask me! :) READ ON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, thanks, Ayda. Though I've been diving back in grown-up books and have been finding disturbing similarities between myself and a few of the characters there. They're all so soft.

    ReplyDelete